First Chapter Critique
The first 5 to 10 pages of your book are arguably the most important.
Whether you want to be traditionally published or go the indie route, a lot will depend on those first chapters.
If a reader (or agent) isn’t hooked in those first pages, doesn’t understand what’s happening, or feels ambivalent about the characters, they’ll very likely put your book down.
It’s vital that those first few chapters suck your readers in for more, so that they finish your book and leave tha raving review you’re craving.
Is it for you?
This first chapter critique is for you if you:
- want to know what’s not working in your first few chapters.
- need to know whether your book is ready for editing.
- are unsure about the quality of your book.
- don’t have the means for a full developmental edit, but would still like some pointers that can help you edit your book with confidence.
My first chapter critique includes:
- A thorough developmental edit up to 5,000 words (so more around 2 to 3 chapters).
- A 2-3 page report outlining the weaknesses & strengths (and how to fix the issues).
- The genre expectations associated with your book.
- Character development feedback (are they gaining sympathy? Do they make the reader care?)
- Feedback on the writing style.
- Feedback on the pacing.
- And a lot of suggestions on what you could do to reel readers in and how you could continue.
Make sure that your opening is a knock-out before you publish (or before you continue editing your book).
(Want something more extensive? Check out my other editing services here)
Please make sure you understand the following guidelines:
- The critique is limited to the first 5,000 words of your novel. You may send me your full manuscript if you find it easier, but I won’t critique more than that.
- Please send your documents as a Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx) file or as a Google Docs. No PDFs (as I also add in-line comments).
- Materials either in English or Dutch.
- I do reserve the right to reject a submission for any reason I see fit (naturally, you will receive a refund in this case).
- Your submission is an original work by you.
How it works
Step 1. Click the button or scroll to the end of the page
By clicking the button or scrolling, you’ll be taken to a form. Please fill it out to put in the request.
Step 2. I will confirm your booking date & send you the details
After your request, I will confirm your booking date and send you the contract and payment details. Usually, I will answer within 1 or 2 business days. Please allow me a week (M-F) to reply to your request. If you haven’t heard after this date, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3. Send your first 5,000 words
Send your first 5,000 words along with the signed contract. You can also send your full manuscript if you prefer, and I’ll stop working around 5k words.
Please also pay the invoice in advance to your booking date. I can’t start the work before the payment is made (through paypal or stripe).
If you live in Europe, you can also pay through a bank transfer.
Step 4. You’ll receive your first chapter critique!
On the agreed upon date, you’ll receive your first chapter critique.